February - March 2021 Newsletter.
Welcome back, we hope that you have had a good half term. We are looking forward to being able to welcome back more and more children over the next few weeks.
Covid-19 still plays a big part in our everyday life, and with the lockdown restrictions being eased over the next few months, it’s still important now more than ever to continue to follow the guidelines… the end is hopefully in sight.
We continue to ask that you check for symptoms regularly and follow government guidelines on social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing.
If your child or anyone in your family has a high temperature, a new continuous cough, a loss of, or change to, their sense of smell or taste, you will need to stay at home and follow the current government guidelines on self-isolation and seek medical advice, please do not come to preschool. You must inform us as soon as you can (phone, text or email) so that we can seek advice and report the case to the DfE. For the most current advice and guidelines please visit: Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Over the last few terms we have noticed the children’s love for animals, so our next topic is ‘Animals from different habitats’. We will be looking at different habitats, including the Antarctic, sea, jungle and habitats closer to home!
Week 1: 22nd – 26th February 2021: Artic and Antarctica
- Circle time activity – How do animals keep warm in the cold?
- Animal treasure hunt in the garden using tick charts (maths focus)
- Artic small world play with real ice (sensory play)
- Penguin races (physical focus)
- Listening to whale songs and animal sounds
- Paper plate walrus (craft)
- Story: Say hello to the snowy animals
- Song: Polar bear, polar bear turn around
Week 2: 1st – 5th March 2021: Farm animals
- Animal counting and sorting focus (maths focus)
- Farmyard sounds bingo game (listening and attention focus)
- Milkshake at snack
- Animal footprints and tracks (understanding the world)
- Farm life role play – feeding animals with real hay and animal feed.
- Story: What the ladybird heard
- Song: Old MacDonald
Week 3: 8th – 12th March 2021: Sea Animals
- Shark – looking at 3D books
- Fishing for phonics (literacy focus)
- Rainbow fish printing activity (craft & maths focus)
- Making Mother’s day cards (craft)
- Exploring emotions activities (PSED focus)
- Story: Commotion in the Ocean, Sharing a shell
- Song: Baby shark
Week 4: 15th – 19th March 2021: Bugs
- Playing a selection bug games (taking turns)
- Hungry caterpillar counting and number recognition
- Bug hunts in the garden (understanding the world)
- Making clay bugs (craft & fine motor skills)
- Butterfly cutting – scissor safety and cutting activity (fine motor skills)
- Story: Super Worm, The Hungry Caterpillar, The Bad tempered ladybird
- Song: Incey Wincey Spider
Week 5: 22nd – 26th March: Pets
- Role play focus – pet shop & going to the vets
- Bringing in pictures of our pets from home – share at circle time.
- Sharing audio story books (listening and attention)
- Building a dog kennel construction challenge
- Painting pictures of our pets
- Story: Dear Zoo
- Song: Come to my pet shop
Week 6: 29th – 31st March: Jungle
- Feather parrot collage
- Patterns – over and under snakes
- Over and under movement challenge
- Learning about chocolate & tasting test
- Making chocolate nests.
- Story: Monkey puzzle, Selfish crocodile
- Song: Jungles in Brazil, 3 little Monkeys.
- Last day of term: Wednesday 31st March 2021
- Easter Holidays: Thursday 1st April – Friday 16th April 2021
- First day back: Monday 19th April 2021